Entries for written categories need to be submitted digitally, as PDFs, URLs or Screen Grabs. How to enter is included within this document.
Unless specified otherwise, candidates’ entries may be drawn from any published format, from digital or from print.
Non-Members: £50 per entry per category.
SJA Members: £20 per category.
Not an SJA member? – Join the SJA for the annual membership fee of £30.
Members receive discounted entry fees to the awards as well as many other benefits, for more information visit:
Freelance: Entry fees for freelancers are £50 in total (£20 for SJA Members) to enter 2 categories.
If you enter as a freelancer and win, you will only be credited as a freelancer. If you require a newspaper or agency to
be credited, entry fees of £50 per entry per category (£20 if SJA member) will apply, and the name of the newspaper
or agency must be stated on the entry form at time of entry. An employer cannot be credited retrospectively.
All entries must be submitted and paid for via the online entry system:
• Written entries must be submitted digitally unless specified. Entries can be submitted as PDFs, URLs or Screen Grabs.
It is not mandatory, but entrants can submit citations to accompany entries.
• There is no limit on the number of journalists that a newspaper, magazine, website or broadcaster may enter in any
• No journalist may be entered in more than two sports writing categories.
• Journalists may submit only one entry in each category.
• All articles must be the entrant’s original work and must have been first published by UK-based publications, websites
or broadcasters between 1 January and 31 December 2020.
• The decision of the judges will be final.
• Joint by-lines are only accepted in the Sports Scoop category.
• Entry into the competition implies acceptance of the rules.
• Failure to comply with any of the rules may result in disqualification.
• The organisers retain the right, within the context of the competition and related promotions, to reproduce articles,
photographs or broadcast programmes, or to give permission for the reproduction without any payment or fee.
• Entries will not be returned.