Entries for photography categories must be submitted as J.Pegs. The maximum upload size for a single photo is 50MB.
All photographs must be the entrant’s original work and must have been taken between 1 January and 31 December 2021.
The manipulation or adjustment of digital files are subject to strict rules outlined in more detail under competition rules.
Non-Members: £50 per entry per category.
SJA Members: £20 per category.
Not an SJA member? – Join the SJA for the annual membership fee of £30.
Members receive discounted entry fees to the awards as well as many other benefits, for more information visit:
Freelance: Entry fees for freelancers are £50 in total (£20 for SJA Members) to enter all categories.
If you enter as a freelancer and win, you will only be credited as a freelancer. If you require a newspaper or agency to
be credited, entry fees of £50 per entry per category (£20 if SJA member) will apply, and the name of the newspaper
or agency must be stated on the entry form at time of entry. An employer cannot be credited retrospectively.
CANON SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR
Is awarded to the photographer who, in the opinion of the judges, has been the overall best sports photographer of 2021 and has demonstrated an outstanding range of photographic skills. This will be judged on submitted entries into the categories listed below. All other awards are subject to entered submissions which are then put before our panel of judges.
CANON SPORTS PORTFOLIO
To consist of 10 photographs representing a variety of sports and a range of photographic disciplines, at a variety of sports events. Photographers can only enter one portfolio into this category.
SPECIALIST SPORTS PORTFOLIO
To consist of 10 photographs of one particular sport, showing a range of photographic disciplines, but not from one sporting event or assignment. Photographers can submit two portfolios from different sports into this category, this will be counted and charged as two entries.
To consist of 10 photographs from football showing a range of photographic disciplines. Entries to this category cannot be entered into Specialist Sports Portfolio. Photographers can only enter one portfolio into this category.
This category is judged as the outstanding single picture. Photographers can enter up to three pictures in this category, this will be counted as one entry.
SPORTS NEWS PICTURE
This category is judged as the outstanding single picture that best illustrates a sports news story of 2021. Entries to this category cannot be entered into Sports Picture. Photographers can enter up to three pictures in this category and this will be counted as one entry.
OLYMPIC AND PARALYMPIC PORTFOLIO
To consist of 10 photographs from the Olympic and or Paralympic games representing a range of photographic disciplines. Portfolio can
be from a single or multiple sports. Photographers can only enter one portfolio into this category.
YOUNG SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHER
This category is open to photographers aged 25 or under on 31 December 2021. Previous winners are not eligible to enter. To consist of 5 photographs representing a range of photographic disciplines. Portfolios can consist of photographs from just one sport or multiple sports. Photographers can only enter one portfolio into this category.
Note: The cost of entering this category is at the reduced rate of £20 regardless of SJA membership.
The winners of the Young Sports Photographer category will be announced prior to the awards ceremony via the SJA website. The winners of the gold, silver and bronze awards will each receive a complimentary ticket for themselves and a guest to attend the event on Monday 7 March 2022.
• All entries must be submitted and paid for via the online entry system:
• Entries for photography categories must be submitted as JPEG files. The maximum upload size for a single
photo is 50MB.
• There is no limit on the number of photographers that a newspaper, magazine, agency or website may enter in
• All photographs must be the entrant’s original work and must have been taken between 1 January and 31 December, 2021.
• Entry into the competition implies acceptance of the rules.
• Failure to comply with any of the rules may result in disqualification.
• Judges reserve the right to move pictures from the portfolio categories into the Sports Picture and Sports News Picture categories for consideration
• By entering you declare that you are a professional photographer and the pictures you are entering are your own
work and were taken in 2021.
• Entries can be colour or black and white or a combination of both.
• The manipulation or adjustment of digital files are subject to the following restrictions: the original structure of a
digital image (scan or digital camera file) may not be altered except by the equivalent of traditional darkroom
techniques such as brightness, contrast, basic colour adjustment, spotting, dodging and burning. The use of
photo enhancement software to create ‘drama’ or HDR style to images is not acceptable. No other changes of the
original digital file or part of it are acceptable. Composite photographs, multiple exposures, the removal of image
content are also excluded from the competition.
• Prior to the shortlist being announced shortlisted photographers may be asked to provide original JPEG files of their
• The organisers retain the right, within the context of the competition and related promotions, to reproduce the
articles, broadcasts or pictures, or give permission for the reproduction without any payment or fee. Winning
photographers may be required to take part in interviews about their winning entry.
• The decision of the judges will be final.